The Church of St Spyridon
The church of St Spyridon, erected in 1589, is the centre of the island’s religious life, and one of its most important post-Byzantine monuments. It is a single-aisled, wooden-beamed basilica in the Ionian style, initially in the possession of the Boulgaris family, who were also the owners of the saint’s Holy Relic. Its impressive bell-tower resembles to an astonishing degree that of the church of the San Giorgio dei Greci in Venice. The church possesses priceless treasures and votive offerings. The Holy Relic of St Spyridon reposes in a 19th-century silver reliquary , set to the right of the Sanctuary and having practically become a side chapel.