Most popular articles
Casa Parlante. Reviving history. “Welcome! Please, come in! The Count will be with you presently. He ...
The Folklore Museum of Sinarades. The “Nikos Paktites” Folk Museum of Sinarades  is housed in a traditional two-floor building. It...
Lazareto. Miniscule island, opposite Kontokali, just 2 miles from Corfu. It was a monastery at the time of the Venetian...
Kynopiastes. Kynopiastes is an old, officially characterized, traditional settlement, eight (8) km south of the city of Corfu, two (2)...
Kontokali. 6.5 km from Corfu Town; No.7 City Bus; a ten - minute walk from the bus stop. ...
Remove filters
Apply filters
Home / Religious Sights / Panagia tis Karmelou (Tenedos)

Panagia tis Karmelou (Tenedos)

Ιt was built in 1633 under the New Fortress. After the occupation of Tenedos in 1657 by the Turks, the Franciscan monks took refuge on the island and the name of the monastery is due to them. It is said that they brought with them the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary. The church was dedicated to Madonna del Carmine and belonged to the monastery of the Holy Spirit in Venice. In 1716 it was severely damaged by the Turkish siege and was rebuilt in 1723. It was a seminary for catholic priests as well as housing the library of the monastery of Agias Ioustinis that was located in Garitsa.

During the French occupation the monastery was abolished and the first public library was housed. Ioannis Kapodistrias, an education inspector in the Ionian State, later established there the first Greek school for the training of civil servants.

The library of Tenedos was enriched with many book titles and was the basis of the library of the Ionian Academy. In 1810 on the premises of the monastery, the imperial French established a pawnshop. The bombings of 1943 destroyed a large part of the monastery, which was never rebuilt.

Location

Contact

What's nearby

Holy Trinity Church 2 Patrick Comerford Corfu 2019
In 1814 Corfu, along with the Ionian Islands became a British Protectorate. ..
The church of St Spyridon, erected in 1589, is the centre of..
The church is a triple-aisled basilica in the Ionian style, with Renaissance..
The presence of Jews in Corfu has been recorded since the 1100s...
This is a single-aisled church with six side chapels. Existing since the..