It is located within the park of Mon Repos, a 258 acres large area full of exotic long-lived plants.
The neoclassical mansion was built in 1831 A.D. by the Corfiot architect John Chronis for the British Commissioner Adams, or more specifically for his Corfiot wife (nee Palatianos), as a summer residence . During the British domination it briefly housed the Seminary.
After the union with Greece (1864 A.D.) it was used as a summer Royal Palace. During the Occupation (1940-1944) it was a resort of the Italian political governor of the Ionian islands, Parini.
Nowadays the park is open to the public , whereas the mansion has become a museum.