Venetian Shipyards (Neorio)
The Neorio in Gouvia is a remnant of a bygone era. Its skeleton stands today. In 1716, when the Ottomans attacked Corfu for a second time, they again disembarked in the same place. After repelling the attack, the Venetians decided to fortify the position and after the siege of 1716 they began to construct the Neorion facilities. At the shipyard they held the winter maintenance and repair of all ships anchored in Corfu. In the late 16th century, the port could accommodate 25 galleys. In the last years of the Venetian occupation, the facilities were neglected and the entrance of the bay had become problematic due to deposition of large volumes of sand by currents and southeastern winds. The Democratic French also used the Neorion facilities, while in 1798 the Russian and Turkish fleet anchored there.