Palace of St. Michael and St. George
The Palace of St. Michael and St George was built by the architect G. Whitmore in the years 1819-1824 A.D. , when the British Commissioner Thomas Maitland was in office. It is the most important monument of the British administration and one of the first neoclassical buildings in Greece. It was built from Maltese stone.
The name "Palace of Saints Michael and George" was chosen because in the building were not only offices and the residence of the British Commissioner, but also the headquarters of the namesake battalion. The facade is decorated with a series of Doric columns, interrupted by two majestic triumphal archways , and is curved at both sides defining the north end of the Espianada square. The cornice is decorated with the prow of a stone ship symbolizing Corfu. Originally ,however, the statue of a woman symbolizing the British Empire was placed here. The building is crowned with the seven emblems of the Ionian Islands. Inside, the walls and ceilings of the main halls are rich in ornate bas-reliefs and paintings.
Before the islands were united with Greece (1864) the Palace housed the Senate as well as the Ionian Parlament. Afterwards it was used as a Royal summer residence, while the archeological collection of Corfu was also placed here for a short period. Nowadays it houses the Museum of Asian Art and the Municipal Art Gallery.